Welcome to PyWinCFFI’s documentation!¶
pywincffi is a wrapper around some Windows API functions using Python
and the cffi library. This project was
originally created to assist the Twisted project in moving away from its
pywin32. Contributions to expand on the APIs which pywincffi
offers are always welcome however.
The core objectives and design principles behind this project are:
- It should be easier to to use Windows API functions both in terms of implementation and distribution.
- Python 2.7 and 3.x should be supported from a single code base and not require a consumer of pywincffi to worry about how they use the library.
- Type conversion, error checking and other ‘C like’ code should be the responsibility of the library where possible.
- APIs provided by pywincffi should mirror their Windows counterparts as closely as possible so the MSDN documentation can be more easily used as reference.
- Documentation and error messages should be descriptive, consistent, complete and accessible. Examples should be provided for more complex use cases.
- For contributors, it should be possible to develop and test regardless of what platform the contributor is coming from.
- Adding A New Windows Function
- Handling Input
- Handling Output
- Windows Constants
- Coding Style and Conventions
- Code Review